Thursday, March 13, 2014

"I'm confused..."

I heard these exact words today from a Swazi woman in one of my classes. Let me tell you the story...

My teaching docket this month includes the first six chapters of the book of Daniel, the book of Titus, and the second lesson in a series on five "pillars" of Christian faith: Christ, grace (that's the one this month), faith, Scripture, and glory. Essentially, this last lesson is an exposition of Eph. 2:8-10 and Rom. 3:21-26, and I try to explain as clearly and accurately as I can the difference between preaching umusa (grace) and imisebenti (works). Works says, "Do something for God, and He will do something for you." Grace says, "God has done something for you, therefore do something for God." As Paul says so eloquently, we are saved by divine grace, not human works.

When the time came for questions, an elderly woman sitting in the middle of the room waited for a moment, then glanced around to see if anyone else was going to ask a question. When no one else raised their hand, she did. As her gaze locked onto mine, I could see that she was very nearly crying. She spoke the words in English, "I'm confused." She wasn't angry, but she was clearly disturbed. She continued in siSwati, "All my life we have been taught that we have to do things for God so that He will do things for us, and now you are saying that it isn't true." Then she stopped, like she was waiting for an explanation.

And then, through the windows of her eyes, I watched two worlds collide and hang suspended in the silence.

Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged when your job involves talking, and more talking, and seemingly not much else in light of all the ever-present physical needs here in Africa. [Well, my task involves listening, too, and studying, and thinking -- but sometimes it just feels like all I do is talk.] Days like today remind me why teaching is a vital component of Christ's Great Commission: "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations ... teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you." Jesus can, and does, set us free from the slavery of working for our salvation and approval.

Less than ten minutes after these words were uttered, I was in my car driving back to Mbabane because I was urgently needed at home. Therefore, I wasn't able to chat with this woman after the class day ended and follow up on her comments. Will you please take a moment right now and pray for her, that God would surround her with Christians who will help water the seed of grace that was planted in her heart today?

3 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Wow Joel. What a blessing to be able to see the light like that go on in someone's life!

March 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I prayed for this women to see clearly this truth of grace and works. May the truth set her free. Thank you Joel for your faithful proclamation of God's Word.

March 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Shadowphone said...

Late, but praying.

March 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home